Today I’d like to welcome Mandy White suspense/thriller author. Mandy is one of the authors who has joined in the Thrills and Suspense for 99 cents. Her novel The Feeder is now available for 99 cents.
An Author’s Journey through Reading
1. When did you start reading?
– First grade. I devoured the words as quickly as the teacher could teach them.
2. What was the first book you remember reading? What was the first book that had a real ‘wow’ factor for you?
– I remember the Dick and Jane school readers as my first books (if those count). A Wrinkle in Time was the first book that had that ‘wow’ factor for me.
3. What attracted you to or got you started reading?
– I have one of those active minds that is hard to shut off at times. Reading provides a focal point that allows me to relax. I like to read myself to sleep, enjoy a hot bath with a good book. I’m waiting for someone to invent a waterproof e-reader.
4. What genres have you read? Was there any progression to the genres you’ve read over the years? Did you start in one genre and then discover others the older you got? i.e. scifi and then romance, then paranormal, then espionage…
– I was a horse fanatic when I was a kid, (still am) so I read a lot of horse-related books. Black Beauty was a favorite and I had almost all of Walter Farley’s Black Stallion books. I went through a mystery phase, first with the Bobbsey Twins, then Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys. I discovered Stephen King in my teens and have been a horror fan ever since.
5. What do you like in a story? What does it have to have to grab you?
– I like a story that surprises me with twists that I don’t see coming. Action early on will usually grab me and hook me into a story.
6. What got you started with writing? And how long have you been writing?
– I started writing stories as soon as I was old enough to put sentences together. Writing is the only thing I’ve ever really wanted to do. I dreamed of being an author ‘someday’, but never pursued it seriously. When I reached age 40 I realized that ‘someday’ was never going to arrive unless I made it happen.
7. What do you like to write about?
– I like to write the sort of thing I enjoy reading – creepy stories that shock and surprise readers.
8. What are you currently working on?
– I currently have two novels in progress: Fed up, the sequel to The Feeder and Phobia, a novel about a woman who is terrorized by strange occurrences inside her home but agoraphobia prevents her from leaving. Phobia should be ready for release by the end of this year and Fed Up will follow in 2015.
9. How did you come up with your plot for your latest book?
– The Feeder started as a short story about a serial killer who dressed as a prostitute to lure victims. I liked the concept and decided to develop it into a novel. I did the rough draft as a NaNoWriMo project. The plot developed in some surprising ways as I wrote.
10.Anything else you’d like to share?
– My other pet project involves a group called WPaD (Writers, Poets and Deviants). I formed the group about five years ago with some like-minded writers I met on Facebook. We challenge ourselves to write short stories in various genres, then compile them into anthologies. We have published six books to date, donating a portion of royalties to Multiple Sclerosis research in support of a couple of our members who have MS. You can learn more about WPaD on our website: http://wpad.weebly.com/
Author’s Website: http://mandywrite.weebly.com/
Mandy White is a Canadian author who resides on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. She is a fan of oxygen, shiny things and personal space. Right now, she is probably lurking in the forest somewhere, being one of those weird, reclusive writer types.
She primarily writes fiction in the horror genre, often featuring Canadian characters and locations. She is founder of the WPaD group (Writers, Poets and Deviants), best known for their charity anthologies for MS.
The Feeder – http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTJYY4Y
Avenging Annabelle – http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058ZYCHO
Dysfictional 2: Shreds of Sanity – http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MT6P1S4
How and where to connect with this author:
Twitter: @mandywrite https://twitter.com/MandyWrite